Species Details

Details of mango will be displayed below


Common Name: Mango
Scientific Name: Mangifera indica
Local Name: An'bu
Dhivehi Name: އަނބު
Plantae  (Kingdom)
Tracheophyta  (Plylum)
Magnoliopsida  (Class)
Sapindales  (Order)
Anacardiaceae  (Family)
Mangifera   (Genus)

mango's description

Mangifera indica, commonly known as mango, is a species of flowering plant in the sumac and poison ivy family Anacardiaceae. It is native to the Indian subcontinent, where it is indigenous and cultivated varieties have been introduced to other warm regions of the world. It is a large fruit-tree, capable of a growing to a height of 30-100 feet, tall and crown width of about 100 feet and trunk circumference of more than twelve feet. Mango trees can live for hundreds of years and continue to produce fruit at 300 years

This tropical fruit, native to India, is relied upon for daily nutrition in many developing tropical nations. Due to this and worldwide demand, the mango is the 5th most produced fruit crop in the world and is second only to the banana in quantity and value. Unlike some fruits, the mango is an egg-shaped drupe, meaning it consists of a single large seed covered with flesh and a leathery outer skin. Typically, mangoes range from yellow-green to red skin and their flesh varies greatly in taste depending on variety of mango. The Alfonso variety, cultivated primarily in India, is the leading commercial variety in the world.

mango's facts

  • Mangos are one of the most popular fruit in the World
  • Mangos were first grown in India over 5,000 years ago
  • Mango seeds traveled with humans from Asia to the Middle East, East Africa and South America beginning around 300 or 400 A.D.
  • The paisley pattern, developed in India, is based on the shape of a mango
  • A basket of mangos is considered a gesture of friendship in India
  • Mangos are related to cashews and pistachios
  • A mango tree can grow as tall as 100 feet
  • The bark, leaves, skin and pit of the mango have been used in folk remedies for centuries

mango's Behavior & Ecology

The majority of Mangifera species occur as a rule as scattered individuals in tropical lowland rainforests on well-drained soils.

mango's Reproduction

Mango exhibits some unique characteristics in regards to reproduction. 

A mango tree must first be able to be pollinated, therefore it needs to bear flowers. Typically, mango trees are pollinated via wind, flies, butterflies, and moths and sometimes bees. Mango plants can also self pollinate as they are monoecious, meaning male and female reproductive organs are found on the same plant. These reproductive organs are found in the flowers of the plant. Depending on the region, a single mango plant varies in the composition of male to hermaphroditic flowers as well as month of flower production. Most mango varieties produce 25% male flowers and the remaining 75% are hermaphroditic. Depending on the region, plants can flower anywhere from December to March.

mango's Relationship with Humans

Mango is one of the most popular fruits around the world.

mango habitat

Found in cultivated or formerly cultivated land. Pollination is by insects. Dispersal is by animals including man. As there is no information for wild populations of this species wild habitat type and size is unknown.

mango threats

The natural distribution of this species is not sufficiently known for threats to be assessed.

mango's status